The outline below may be used for submitting your presentation for consideration for the 2020 Outstanding Chapter of the Year Award. All entries must be submitted to the Department Adjutant prior to the Opening Session of the Department Convention on Friday, June 12, 2020, at the Radisson Hotel Convention Center in Green Bay, in resume form (including a copy of the Chapter’s most recent Annual Financial Report). All entries will be judged by a convention committee and the Chapter chosen as the Outstanding Chapter will be awarded the Matt J. Werel Trophy and $500.00 at the Convention Banquet. Resume should include – but is not limited to – the following:
1. Membership promotion program used by the chapter and the results.
2. Chapter’s participation in veteran’s organizations functions in the community.
3. Participation in the DAV – District, Department and National level functions, to include programs, conventions, conferences, etc.
4. Chapter meetings – special programs, functions, speakers, etc.
5. Fund Raising.
6. Donations to hospitals – VA, local and Veterans Home – families or individuals in need, organizations, etc.
7. Participation in community events.
9. Taking part in legislative procedures
10. Visits and programs at hospitals, nursing homes, etc. Include photos, clippings, etc.
The Matt J. Werel Trophy was established in 1961 in honor of Past Department Commander Matthew J. Werel of LaCrosse, Wisconsin. The traveling trophy is awarded each year at the convention. Any chapter which is successful in winning the award for three consecutive years will retire the trophy permanently.